The 10th edition of Caribbean Premier League (CPL 2022) will commence from 30 August and the finals will be played on 30 September. All the six teams participating in the CPL 2022 have confirmed their pre-draft retentions and signings of local players.
The CPL 2022 drafts took place in two phases. In the first phase, teams were allowed to retain a maximum of five players and in the second phase, they were allowed to retain two more local players.
Many of the star performers in recent CPL seasons have found their names in the retentions with franchises showing their faith in them. Here are the major signings and retained players for each teams:
- St Kitts & Nevis Patriots are the defending champions. They beat the Saint Lucia Kings in the final of the previous edition.They have retained IPL’s highest wicket-taker – Dwayne Bravo, Evin Lewis, Sherfane Rutherford among others. They also signed Darren Bravo & Andre Fletcher to their squad.
- Trinbago Knight Riders – the 4-time CPL winners have retained all star players like Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Akeal Hosein etc. They also signed Andre Russell & Nicholas Pooran which made them a strong team already.
- St Lucia Kings – CPL 2021 runner-ups have retained last year’s player of the tournament – Roston Chase. In addition they have retained Keserick Williams, Alzarri Joseph & Jeavor Royal. The signings for the Kings are local boy Johnson Charles who joins them from the Barbados Royals and Mark Deyal who re-signs having been with the Kings in 2021.
- Jamaica Tallawahs have retained only 3 players from their squad from CPL 2021. Along with skipper Rovman Powell, they retained Shamrah Brooks & Kennar Lewis. They signed Brandon King & Fabien Allen for CPL 2022.
- Barbados Royals have retained 5 players from their squad of CPL 2021. In addition to captain – Jason Holder, Barbados Royals retained – Kyle Mayers, Hayden Walsh, Oshane Thomas & Nyeem Young. The Royals’ signings are Devon Thomas who joins them from the Patriots and Obed McCoy who was with the Kings in 2021.
- Guyana Amazon Warriors have retained Shimron Hetmyer, Odean Smith, Romario Shepherd & Chandrapaul Hemraj. Keemo Paul will be joining the home side after playing a season with St Lucia Kings in 2021. Another signing for Warriors is Gudakesh Motie.
CPL 2022 – Full list of players retained
St Kitts & Nevis Patriots
Retentions: Dwayne Bravo, Evin Lewis, Sherfane Rutherford, Sheldon Cottrell, Dominic Drakes
New Signings: Andre Fletcher, Darren Bravo
Trinbago Knight Riders
Retentions: Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Akeal Hosein, Jayden Seales, Tion Webster
New Signings: Andre Russell, Nicholas Pooran
St Lucia Kings
Retentions: Roston Chase, Kesrick Williams, Alzarri Joseph, Jeavor Royal
New Signings: Johnson Charles, Mark Deyal
Retentions: Jason Holder, Kyle Mayers, Hayden Walsh, Oshane Thomas, Nyeem Young
New Signings: Obed McCoy, Devon Thomas
Retentions: Rovman Powell, Kennar Lewis, Shamarah Brooks
New Signings: Fabian Allen, Brandon King
Guyana Amazon Warriors
Retentions: Shimron Hetmyer, Odean Smith, Romario Shepherd, Chaderpaul Hemraj
New Signings: Keemo Paul, Gudakesh Motie